(and what an actual socialist would do)
10. Bailouts. As Senator and Presidential candidate, Obama voted for the Bush bailouts of the banking industry. This measure took workers' hard earned tax dollars and gave them to the filthy rich corporate executives who screwed up the economy in the first place. This is the opposite of what a socialist would do.
9. Healthcare. Instead of pushing for a non-profit, single-payer, national health insurance plan, he called up the insurance industry and asked them to write a bill. It of course required that everyone purchase their flawed product; guaranteed customers, exactly what every capitalist wants. This is the opposite of what a socialist would do.
8. Oil Spill. Instead of taking charge in the gulf and creating an international team of experts to address the disaster, he let the corporation who created it handle the mess; they of course lied and saved a lot of face in the end. Furthermore, he has done nothing to address the potential for this to happen again.
7. Foreclosures. After being bailed out by taxpayers, the banks continued to foreclose on taxpayers homes. While the president did everything to protect the financial capitalist's interest, he did nothing to help the working class who has been losing their homes at breakneck speed. Again, the opposite of what a socialist would do.
6.Worker's Right to Organize. Like all Democrats he made big promises to union members, and then, when he was elected he dropped the Employee Free Choice Act quicker than a hot potato.
5. War. Instead of ending the wars which are despised by the majority of Americans, the president escalated conflict in Afghanistan and set up Iraq as a quasi-colonial state to be occupied indefinitely. A socialist would bring all the troops home tomorrow, period.
4. Education. Obama took the awful No Child Left Behind Act and replaced it with the even worse Race to the Top program, which should really be called race to the bottom because its result has been the most rapid privatization of public education in history.
3. Campaign Funding. He raised more private and corporate money in 2008 than had ever been raised and spent on a campaign. Socialists are opposed to private campaign funding, it is not democratic. We want real democracy, not some corporate representative form of government that is bought by the highest bidder every four years.
2. Military Spending. Obama outdid Bush, and any other president for that matter, when he signed the $800 billion annual military budget last year (the highest in the history of mankind). This huge check does not even cover the wars in the Middle East or the VA services for the tens of thousands of wounded soldiers returning from them. Socialists would slash military spending and focus on our real problems at home as opposed to those fear-driven, unproven ones abroad.
1. He is a Millionaire. Plain and simple. The interests of a millionaire are NOT the same as those of the average working class American.
Please consider a real option for real change and real hope this election year.